Wednesday, August 25, 2010

V.A. Shangaan Electro - New Wave Dance Music From South Africa (2010)

ARTIST`````Various
ALBUM`````
Shangaan Electro - New Wave Dance Music From South Africa
GENRE`````
Shangaan / Electro / Africa / Dance
YEAR````````2010


HOT HOT HOT:
This is absolutely the freshest and finest new music style I heard in a looong time.

What struck me the most was the production style: basic MIDI samples WITHOUT any swooooshing FX's. A superfast complex African beat with bright and clean basic keyboard sounds and rhythmic vocals make it sound more electronic and minimal than almost all dance/house/minimal/electro crap that's been released like hamburgers in McDonalds these last 10 years.
When in 2010, African underground musicians living in harsh conditions find inspiration and develop a deeply rooted but pure modern dance music it only emphasizes how bland and pathetic the current dance scene actually is but a;lso that NEW music is possible and should be praised. The brightest light in Western dance scene that can stand close to this purity is definitely Dan Deacon.

In the next few months we should expect a gazillion of dance producers producing a fuckillion of
Shangaan drum'n'bass mixes with farts over it, a David Guetta "Shangaan Sex Tapes". As one youtuber said: Enjoy the original sound before some douchey white boy sanitizes it and it becomes the next hipster fad.

Tshetsha Boys - Nwa Pfundla




About this release and the Shangaan Electro style

From the
Honest Jon's Label release description:
Now Shangaan music is both, rural and urban. We jumped the boundaries by changing that bass into playing with the marimba, that's when we touched the nerves, and now it's all over.

From Guardian:
Scene and heard: Shangaan electro

At 180 bpm, shangaan combines MIDI keyboards with marimba beats, distorted vocal samples and lyrics that Honest Jon's, the record label which is putting out a compilation, described as "African soap operas, tied up with domestic matters and a yearning for the slower life".
Read more

Tracklist:
01. BBC - Ngunyuta Dance (The Shake-Your-Behind Dance)
02. Tshetsha Boys - Nwa Pfundla (Pfundla's Daughter)
03. Mancingelani - Vana Vasesi (My Sister's Children)
04. Zinja Hlungwani - Ntombi Ya Mugaza (Shangaan Woman)
05. BBC - Ngozi (Danger)
06. Zinja Hlungwani - Nwa Gezani (Gezani's Daughter)
07. Tiyiselani Vomaseve - Vanghoma
08. Nka Mwewe - Khulumani (Let's Talk)
09. Tiyiselani Vomaseve - Na Xaniseka (I'm Suffering)
10. Zinja Hlungwani - Nwa Gezani My Love (Gezani's Daughter, My Love)
11. Tshetsha Boys - Uya Kwihi Ka Rose (Rose, Where Are You Going?)
12. Zinja Hlungwani - Thula (So Quiet)


DOWNLOAD

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

UUUUUOOOAAAA! MADE MY DAY!

J Thyme...kind said...

Wow. My mind is blown.

J Thyme...kind said...

This record is beyond "Sick". It's well.

J Thyme...kind said...

There are so many "Sub Genres" out there just waiting to be discovered. Brasil, India, Balinese Gamalon, China, Africa, Reggae, Ambient, Dub. Take your pick.
Stop by my page & discover how sweet Brasil was in the 70's. I like your page.

Bleeding Panda said...

Excellent blog you have! I added you to my list. Cheers

J Thyme...kind said...

If you know your beats per minute, then this one is clocking in at 170 to 180 BPM's. That would make this African-Techno or something to that effect.
I'm scratching my head.

C said...

Hello Nice Panda. I'm Sad this link is dead :(

Unknown said...

Link is superdead. But there plenty to choose from: http://www.filestube.com/search.html?q=Shangaan+Electro+New+Wave+Dance+Music+From+South+Africa+&select=All

Dot23 said...

Nice one, you saved me lickle fingers from typing the track names in - they are ridiculously long!

Totally thought this was a Gwar or Slipknott album whenI picked it up @ my friends house :P

it's quite mental and I'm hoping my friend Noz (whose mum is SAfrican) likes it :)

Dot23 said...

Course, checked the link above my comment and now am DLing da zip - cld've saved myself lot of anguish with recording off vinyl *rolleyes*

Neill ∞ said...

this cured my hangover and my broken heart, great post thanks very much, glad i stumbled across your blog! <3

Björn said...

Oh, crap. I must be that white hipster boy and Julio Bashmore the douchey whiteboy for playing it.

Couldn't care less though; this stuff makes me hop in my chair at 7am.
Thanks!

alan smithee said...

sounds awesome, link is dead however...

alan smithee said...

well, i found an other link for the release so i thought i'd share.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0p8g0jhnqhhsseq

ross said...

Thank you so much for this! Completely beautiful music.

Is absolutely anything on earth better than this? I seriously doubt it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails